Is There An Age Limit In Claiming My Children On My Government Taxes?

To claim a child on your government taxes they must meet a set of requirements prior to being eligible. A child that was under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year (December 31 of the previous year) is a qualifying child, even if they are filing their own return. A child, under the age of 24 and is a full time student that resides full time in your home is also a qualified child. A child of any age that is permanently disabled and resides full time in your home is a qualified child.

I Take Care Of My Granddaughter Full Time Can I Claim Her On My government Taxes

To claim a child as a dependent on your government taxes they must first pass the age test. Once that has been established they must pass the residency test. When you have established both of these facts you can apply the relationship test. If you provide full time support to a child, grandchild, niece/nephew, step child, foster child, brother/sister or step sibling you have the authority to claim them on your taxes. You must remember that no one else can claim these individuals on their tx forms at the same time. You must be the sole support for these individuals and they must reside with you on a full time basis.

Can I Claim Any Other Relative On My government Taxes Legally

To claim someone other than a relative as your dependent on your government taxes the individual(s) must first pass four requirements set forth by the government. First, they must not be considered a qualifying child. Nest, they must pass the residency requirements for the previous year as well as the income guidelines set forth by the government for that particular year. Finally, there must be a determination to the amount of support that you provided this non-family member. This is a very hard thing to claim on your government taxes and you should proceed very carefully.

Leave a Reply