If My Child Works, Can I Still Claim Them On My Taxes?


The first test that must be passed is the relationship test. In this test the child must be a blood relative, unless placed into custody by a authorized placement agency or court order.


The second test that must be met is that you must have provided more than half of the child’s support during the tax year.

Where Do They Live

Third, the child had to live with you for more than half of the year. Exceptions do apply in cases of divorced, separated or unmarried parents.


The fourth test, on whether I can claim the child on my taxes is the child’s age. They must be under age 19 or under 24 if they are a full time student, for me to claim them on my taxes. There are exceptions for a child who is permanently disables. If the child is between the ages of 19 and 24, and not a full time student, and earns more than $3650, I will not be able to claim him on my taxes.


The fifth test is that the child cannot be filing a joint return, unless they and their spouse are filing to claim a refund. This means that under certain circumstances a married child can be claimed on their parents return.

Who Can Claim Them

The sixth test is whether another person can claim the child on their taxes. government regulations only allow the child to be claimed on one tax return. If there are two tax payers’ eligible to claim the same child, they will have to decide who will claim the child.

Perhaps what is most important about being able to claim my child on my taxes, is my filing status. A single parent with a qualifying child can claim head of household which provides for a larger standard deduction, and may have earned income credit (EIC) benefits.

2 Responses to “If My Child Works, Can I Still Claim Them On My Taxes?”

  1. This is Awesome! Thank you so much.

  2. Awesome website you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics talked about here? I’d really love to be a part of online community where I can get feedback from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thank you!

Leave a Reply