How Much Of My Wages Can The Government Garnish?
Owing the government is no fun but once a situation has gotten out of hand and an individual has not paid their taxes in a while or they owe so many back taxes to the government that the deduction of wages comes into play.
This is when the employer is ordered to withhold a specific amount of pay from the employees check and send it to the government. A wage garnishment can be anywhere from 30-80% and the deductions will come out of the check until the debt is paid in full. In some cases the government will attempt to get the remaining 20% from the employee’s bank account.
How is the Garnishment Calculated?
The government usually provides the employer with a chart of guidelines that is based on the employees pay rate, dependents, and how often they are paid, all of these numbers are plugged into the chart and the amount stated on the chart is what will be deducted from the check.
Alternatives to Wage Garnishments
Before a situation gets too frustrating an individual can try to make arrangements with the government to pay off the debt. They can get help from a lawyer to help set up the arrangement. Even after a garnishment schedule has been put in place arrangements can be made to release the lien and make payment arrangements.
When a person has problems with paying off a debt to the government they should try their best to make payment arrangements because once that option is off of the table that is when the deductions will start and not too many people can live off of what is left once a large deduction is taken from their check.
- Can The Government Garnish All Of My Wages For Back Taxes?
- What Can The Government Garnish?
- How Can I Avoid a Government Garnishment?
- Can I Stop a Government Garnishment?
- Can I Avoid Wage Garnishment If I Owe Government Taxes?